I (“Papi”) have learned from my wife and tweaked this to fit my taste. It’s generic, but never fails.
- 5 chicken breasts (skinless boneless, but you can use regular ones for more flavor from bones and fat!)
- 2 sticks of celery, broken in half
- 3 sprigs of green onion (alternative: use 1/2 a medium onion, whole)
- 2 garlic cloves, large, whole
- 1 T salt
- 1 t oregano
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 6 qt filtered water
- Combine all ingredients in an 8qt pot
- Bring to slow boil for 45 min
- Use a ladle to pour yourself a hot cup.
- For storage and future use, pull out the chicken, then run the broth through a sieve.
- Green Onions: One of the keys to fantastic taste is using green onions instead of plain onions
- Salt: Don’t skimp on the salt, but you can adjust to taste.
- Chicken: You can pull the chicken out and use it for other meals such as chicken stir-fry, quesadillas, bbq chicken, chicken salad, molé, or just as a snack, slapped between some bread with mayo. Yeah baby.